Monday, November 5, 2007

California Fires

The following is from my friend Laura. Please read it through, and help if you can.
Thanks!
Beth


I live in Lake Arrowhead, CA, an area that was recently devastated by 2 fires. I am starting an afghan project to benefit families in my community who lost their homes to fire. Please help!

The following is the information for the project. Please note that the po box is a special one that I set up just for this project.

It’s a devastating thing to lose your home to a fire. Let’s show our support for the many families in Lake Arrowhead and Running Springs who lost their homes to fire. I am asking for knitters and crocheters everywhere to donate knitted and crocheted blocks that can be seamed into afghans. My plan is to donate the finished afghans to families who lost their homes in the Grass and Slide Fires.

Specifications:
Size: 8” square
Yarn: Wool, wool/acrylic blends, or acrylic

Method: Knit or Crocheted

Send to: Mountain Community Afghan Project Laura Wiley P.O. Box 5343 Blue Jay, CA 92317
For Local drop off: The Yarn & Sew Shop, 28589 Hwy 18, Skyforest, CA
Questions: Contact Laura Wiley at (909) 337-5068 or mommys_marketplace@verizon.net

I will accept any patterns donated but the following are a few simple pattern suggestions:

Knit
Cast on 4 stitches, knit into the front and back of the first stitch of each row, knit in garter stitch (knit on every row) until one side measures 8", k2tog at the end of each row until 5 stitches remain, cast off. Recommended knitting needles: 6, 7, or 8

Crochet
Chain 31, double crochet in the 3rd chain from the hook and in each chain across. Turn Row 2: Chain 3 (counts as 1st double crochet) Double crochet in the next stitch and each stitch across. Repeat until block is 8” square. Suggested Hook Sizes: H, I, or J or size needed to make an 8” square.

If you or someone you know has lost your home due to one of the fires, please contact me so you can be placed on the list to receive an afghan.

If you don’t knit or crochet and would like to help, give me a call! Donations of yarn would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: