Sunday, January 4, 2009

Target Marketing

Your target market must be clearly defined. It's not uncommon for a business to have to refocus and revisit their targeting, especially if it was not clearly identified in the beginning stages of business.
This would be me. I was marketing to anyone and everyone, and not having the best of luck. At all.

It is necessary to find the right balance when defining your target market in a way that causes your audience to recognize that you are talking specifically to them. This often requires companies to narrow down their target market.
After noticing where I was getting all my sales, I relized that I had a target market that needed my attention. How I didn't see it all along is beyond me. I think I was too busy trying to force my audience to be other than what it was. How many of us are doing that right now? It's a new year...time for changes.

It is important that you know your target market inside and out. By knowing your target audience you will be more confident in the steps to take to connect with that audience. The power of your brand relies on the ability to focus. That is why defining your target market will help to strengthen your brand's effectiveness.

Write a target audience definition for your company. The instructions below will walk you through the process of completing this step.
-Who is your target audience?
-Where is your target audience located?
-What do they think about your current brand?
-What would you like them to think about your brand?
-How will you attract them to your products or services?
-Who else is competing for their loyalty and devotion?
-Are you targeting business or consumer sectors?

Using the questions below write a target market description. The more specific the better. Second draft a statement on the type of relationship you would like to have with your customers.
-Demographical bases (age, family size, life cycle, occupation)
-Geographical bases (states, regions, countries)
-Behavior bases (product knowledge, usage, attitudes, responses)
-Psychographic bases (lifestyle, values, personality)

No comments: